At CN, we work together to move our company—and North America—forward. Be part of our Information & Technology (I&T) team, a critical piece of the engine that keeps us in motion. From enterprise architecture to operational technology, our teams use the agile methodology to automate and digitize our railroad ensuring our operations run optimally and safely and our employees can focus on value-added tasks. You will be able to develop your skills and career in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
His / Her primary role is to manage the day-to-day operation of the Network Operations Center ( 7/24 ) and telecom environment in a stable, secure and cost-effective manner through strong working relationships with all product or service providers in accordance with agreed performance levels. He / She will plan, organize, and manage staff and overall infrastructure operations to ensure stable operation of CN IT infrastructure systems. He / She is responsible for all aspects of network administration (including Data Center Lan/Wan, Core, and Network services) and for developing, maintaining policies / procedures to ensure that project solutions are delivered within technical guidelines. He / She also maintains best practices for CN's infrastructure.
· Partners with HR to bring new talent to the organization by determining which skills and roles will be required in the future and by making thoughtful hiring decisions
· Provides a positive and welcoming onboarding experience to all new employees by ensuring they have access to the tools and resources needed to fulfill the requirements of their job
· Recognizes employee milestones (service awards, retirements, etc.) as well as significant contributions and enhanced responsibilities
· Focuses on communications and fosters collaboration by regularly providing updates to teams about ongoing initiatives and encouraging teams to work together to accomplish common goals and learning
· Manages employee performance by ensuring employees who are not meeting expectations are identified and supported through the performance improvement process
· Creates and enables a positive and engaging work environment by ensuring individual strengths are uncovered and leveraged through frequent and focused conversations - collaborates, coaches and builds connections with employees
· Participates in succession planning by contributing to the yearly talent review cycle and identifying employees with the potential to move up the management and technical paths
· Supports employee development by having regular career conversations with all employees (documented and tracked) and supporting them in reaching their career goals
· Ensures knowledge is preserved through cross-training for key skill sets in the team (knowledge transfer)
· Provide technical expertise and platform leadership in areas of Datacenter , Core and Network Services technologies
· Coordinate change planning and formal change control process to systems in order to eliminate customer impact and to ensure that availability SLA's are met
· Ensure that network hardware devices and related procedures adhere to CN standard and policy as well as compliance regulatory requirement
· Establish and maintain operational procedures and practices, maintains network security
· Manage enterprise network systems and services to an operational uptime of 99.999% at the core
· Responsible for all of data network services and performs network testing and evaluation testing on a regular basis
· Lead advanced enterprise-level performance tuning as well as network performance audits on a regular basis
· Research and analyze data networking technologies to remain pro-active and current in the industry. Makes recommendations for future direction
· Oversee change control procedures for all production changes
· Provide after hours on-call support manage escalations and Network outages
· Liaise with various internal and external stakeholders as part of the incident management process to resolve issues in a timely manner
· Reviews project requests and confirm operation feasibility;
· Ensure that project transition to core comply with the support requirements;
· Coordinates resources requirements with project manager;
· Coordinates, evaluates and partners with vendors to help in delivery;
· Provide feasibility study and work estimates during project A&P;
· Comply to change control procedures for all project production changes;
· Participate in the project transition and support strategies (T2C).
· Participate in various architectural reviews to ensure alignment and compliance with the support excellence standards;
· Lead initiative to ensure continuous improvement of systems operational policies, procedures, methodologies, and documentation required to support evolving operational needs.
· Develop and oversees the adherence to maintenance and performance standards of data network hardware and systems
· Develop tactical and strategic plans, standards, guidelines and policies for the network resources based on growth, trends, available metrics, etc.
· Establishes and implements operational policies, procedures, and standards in conformance with information systems goals and procedures;
· Develop mid to long-term technology / service evolution plans;
· Contribute with architecture on the technology roadmap;
· Build team structure and skill strategy based on growth and technology trends;
· Participates in life cycle portfolio management and help estimate operational costs;
· Participates in vendor proposals evaluations.
· College degree in a related field (Information Technology, Computer Science)
· Detailed knowledge of Data Centre and Core technologies
· Detailed knowledge in infrastructure component and configuration (such as network infrastructure, server infrastructure, data communications, and telecommunications systems) and electronic data transmission principles, LAN networks, routing fundamentals, DMZ design and troubleshooting techniques is essential
· Planning, controlling and scheduling operational and project resources
· Broad knowledge process improvement techniques and principles
· Working knowledge of ITIL processes and methodologies to deliver high quality support to meet customers' needs
· Strong customer/client focus, with the ability to manage expectations appropriately; provide a superior customer/client experience and build long-term relationships
· Experience with Project management an asset
· Detail Oriented with Network Migration Skills and network management tools experience such Cisco Works
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to enable effective incident and problem resolution
· Proven ability to work under stress in emergencies, with the flexibility to handle multiple high-pressure situations simultaneously
· Strong leadership and team-oriented interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface effectively with a broad range of people and roles, including vendors and IT and business personnel
· Minimum 5 years related experience
· ITIL 2011 Foundation
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada's Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
For internal candidates, note that the grade level of the position will depend on the employee's experience.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.