Location Guiuan, Philippines
Start Date Dec 2018 - Feb 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 6 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer's Role
Through this placement, you will support People in Need in the delivery and implementation of its local economic development project entitled, "Enhancing Sustainable Income in the Philippines," to improve the income and increase resilience of the poor and marginalized people. Specifically, you will support the small-scale business enterprises, or agribusiness start-ups, mostly women to build their capacity on different areas of product development. More specifically, you will assist them in developing, improving or generating correct product labels, product specifications, product packaging, costing and costing. You will also assist business start-ups to standardize production processes, set-up and implement good manufacturing practices. You will be part of the People in Need Program team in Guiuan, Eastern Samar and will be stationed in Guiuan office. Regular travel to the program areas across Eastern Samar province will be required.
This placement is part of the Volunteers for International Cooperation and Empowerment (VOICE) program in the Philippines, with a focus on Inclusive Sustainable Economic Growth (ISEG) and cross-cutting theme of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion. The ultimate outcome of the VOICE project is to improve the economic and social well-being of poor and marginalized communities. PIN would benefit from Cuso International by having access to skilled volunteers to support their program delivery and implementation in Guiuan, Eastern Samar, Philippines. PIN partners - the agribusiness start-ups (ASU) and local service providers (LSP) – would also benefit from Cuso International volunteers to build their skills and knowledge on the functional areas of entrepreneurship, business management, marketing and product development.
Overall objectives include: Increased business, employment and income opportunities for poor people, including farmers, women and youth, created by the business start-ups and local service providers that are assisted by PIN and its implementing partners. PIN aims to reach 12,000 beneficiaries, 60% of them are women.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Field visits and meetings with agribusiness start-ups (ASUs) and local business providers to familiarize self on their businesses and activities
-Support agribusiness start-ups to improve product labels, specifications, costing and pricing
-Support agribusiness start-ups to standardize production processes, set-up and implement good manufacturing practices
-Coach and mentor relevant staff of agribusiness start-ups on product development
Essential Academic Qualifications:
University Degree in Food Sciences, Food Product Development, Business Administration or related field
Essential Professional Background:
- Min. 3- 5 years of experience in food product development
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months