Start Date Dec 2018 - Feb 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer's Role
The Abilities Foundation of Jamaica (AF) is seeking to develop a social enterprise (SE) as a means of enhancing the sustainability by strengthening its revenue generating capacity and we are looking for a volunteer like you to support the development of this enterprise. This is a pilot project and as such will require the groundwork of concept development and implementation. As a volunteer, you will be instrumental in supporting these processes and developing the necessary actions plans to move Abilities Foundation forward in achieving their ultimate goal of self-sufficiency.
Abilities Foundation serves to provide quality vocational education to persons with disabilities to enable them to function as creative and productive citizens. Working with Abilities Foundation will further strengthen Cuso International's aim to provide greater opportunities to vulnerable groups particularly the PLWD group and achieving a more inclusive society.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Support the development of the framework for the social enterprise by:
-Reviewing AF's strategic plan and strategic meetings with staff.
-Researching local legislation that relates to social business development.
-Reviewing governance and operations structure of local social enterprises in Jamaica
-Support the development and execution of AF's specific Social Enterprise:
-Identifying local resources that maybe used towards the development and execution of AF's social enterprise
-Co-implement and co-manage AF's Pilot Social Enterprise project along with staff
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-Bachelor's Degree in Business Development
Essential Professional Background:
-Experience in working with groups, preferably community based groups
-Excellent communication, oral and writing skills
-Knowledge skill and experience in human rights based methodology and gender sensitivity
-Experience working in organizational development/planning
-Experience in developing business plans and managing social enterprises
-Strong team work skills
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months